A Vegetation Free Right of Way
As a part of NERC Compliance, Transmission Owners must have a Vegetation Management Program to prevent transmission line contact with vegetation. Using LiDAR technology and PLS-CADD’s Danger Tree algorithms, WIRE Services can identify danger trees for grow-in conditions and simulated falling trees. WIRE Services can overlay these danger tree locations on ortho-rectified images showing the exact trees which are hazardous to the transmission line. There are numerous benefits to implementing a Vegetation Management Program:
- Danger tree analysis can be more cost effective than clear cutting.
- All danger trees outside of the ROW are identified. Clear cutting the ROW doesn’t solve this problem.
- Trees inside the ROW which do not pose a risk to the transmission line are not identified for removal.
- Removing only the danger trees is more environmentally friendly than clear cutting the ROW.
- A cross section view of transmission line conductors being blown into vegetation
- This Plan and Profile view clearly shows the vegetation which violates Falling Tree, Blowout and Hot Sag conditions
- This profile and cross section view shows vegetation growing between the conductors of this transmission line